Friday, January 30, 2009

Signifying nothing

I must be quick since I have work that's needed, but just curious how life OUGHT to be lived, you know, what really matters? Given a limited amount of time, how should it be spent in a way that is most fulfilling, most useful.

One vital example is something called a "social life", and I don't play that game well. I don't keep up with everything going on around me, and in fact, as much as not, if I try to expand my circle of awareness too much, I start to panic.

I think of Shakespeare's quote in McBeth:
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.


All the little dramas we all experience in our little lives seem so important, at least in that moment. We want our outrage recognized as just and good. We want our suffering known as heroic and tragic. We want above all to signify for something.

It's much easier to judge the illusions of others, and to want to run away from their false dramas. But at least it reminds why we must all look in the mirror and see what drives us as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home