I never knew...
that my apparent kill-instinct isn't held by all men in the world!
I heard a story tonight on NPR about a man who responded to a woman screaming, found her being attacked by two pitbulls, while she was on the ground covering her pet greyhound with her own body!
This crazy dog-lover spent minutes pulling them away and said he didn't get MAD until the second dog bit him in the leg while dealing with the other, and even then he didn't do anything more than throw one dog down on the ground, holding it down while fighting off the second until help arrived. The two pit bulls were put to sleep.
I'm thinking during the entire story how it would never in a million years occur to me to NOT try to main or kill the dogs as quickly as I could. I mean ONE dog, IF I HAD 100% control (grabbing his collar), I might not attempt a mortal injury to the dog. BUT BUT BUT with two dogs, there's no way I would consider sparing the life of the first dog.
I come from a fear of dogs, and one adult encounter where I surprised a dog from a dog house, being in deep snow. In that case I got bit, and was calm and reasoned - I was the invader, and he was defending his territory, so I eventually successfully retreated. BUT once I was safe I fantasized for the 20 minutes walking home about going back with a baseball bat and killing the creature. When I got home and talked about it I just broke crying. I was outraged that this dog would dare threaten my safety. I realize I didn't really want to kill the dog, realized it was just a "dumb animal", SO there was no justifying "murder" at least unless future safety was at risk.
I don't understand how the reptilian brain works or whatever, but there is a fearlessness in me, a fearlessness against injury. I really do walk through my life as an "alpha male" mentality hidden beneath, ready to assert any defense necessary in the world. On the good side, it can be directed against physical danger like dogs attacking a woman, but on the bad side, it can also hold up an ego that might direct wrongful aggression against someone who appears to disrespect me. I only offer that recognition to the two sides, and not just physical power, but could come out as verbal power as well, senseless stuff.
Back to the pit bulls, I have no doubt at all that I would act to fight off the dogs - bare hands and all, if there's no time for weapons. Fear of physical injury wouldn't stop me, BUT it would never in a million years occur to me to offer escalating resistance - not with two dogs - the first do must die.
Having a collar makes it almost too easy. I'd grab it by the back of the collar with both hands and spin it around, using the first dog as a weapon against the second, while slamming its body against every hard surface that happens into my aim. After that I'd pin the dog down with my feet and twist the collar to strangle the dog until it couldn't move, alternating with strangling and spinning again as needed to fend off the second dog. The first dog simply could never stand again. Sure, I'd feel outraged by my fear's need to snuff the dog's life, but it would be so justifiable!
Once the first dog was out, I'd consider controlling the second dog if I could, hold it down like the guy did. As long as I'm in control, and the dog either willingly submitted to my strength OR was overpowered.
The guy talked about not getting mad until he was bit in the calf. I can see that in the sense that before that he was master of his fear, as well as being bit is a sense of "excalation" - once blood is drawn, the game rises to lethal force, while before that, you might try to see if using "bark" over "bite" can be sufficient.
I grew up with an older brother who was always bigger and stronger, so I knew all about using intimidation, convincing my brother that I was crazier than he was and she shouldn't mess with me, however many inches or pounds advantage he had.
So when faced by a stronger opponent, I'll try "bark" to avoid a physical fight, and when I'm stronger, I'll try to "overpower" until submission. Running away? Well, it's always an option, and I'm a good runner, but basically that's reserved for cases where I'm outnumbered AND faster!
I don't consider dogs stronger, even if more fierce AND faster. I suppose my confidence does come from feeling stronger. One dog, dead if I choose. Two dogs, no problem. Three dogs, well, I hope I'm fighting for the life of a screaming woman. I'm not sure I'd take on even two dogs to save the life of another dog.
Cats are more my style. I'm still surprised when cats scare me, but not that I'd be hurt, just that I'd not mess with them with my hands - kick them away from each other only!
I've read about people being attacked by cougars, or mountain lions. At least they are not pack animals. For purely wild animals I'm not as brave except by necessity.
Anyway, I'm getting silly. I'm just amazed by this reptilian brain in me that is fearless (i.e. not afraid of physical harm). It is strange for being counter to my ordinary frame of mind. I guess it's all about necessity - when you believe you have no choice, there's no question what to do.
And when someone else is being HURT, there's no question what to do! (Stop the hurting using all means available!)
That seems a good instinct.
I heard a story tonight on NPR about a man who responded to a woman screaming, found her being attacked by two pitbulls, while she was on the ground covering her pet greyhound with her own body!
This crazy dog-lover spent minutes pulling them away and said he didn't get MAD until the second dog bit him in the leg while dealing with the other, and even then he didn't do anything more than throw one dog down on the ground, holding it down while fighting off the second until help arrived. The two pit bulls were put to sleep.
I'm thinking during the entire story how it would never in a million years occur to me to NOT try to main or kill the dogs as quickly as I could. I mean ONE dog, IF I HAD 100% control (grabbing his collar), I might not attempt a mortal injury to the dog. BUT BUT BUT with two dogs, there's no way I would consider sparing the life of the first dog.
I come from a fear of dogs, and one adult encounter where I surprised a dog from a dog house, being in deep snow. In that case I got bit, and was calm and reasoned - I was the invader, and he was defending his territory, so I eventually successfully retreated. BUT once I was safe I fantasized for the 20 minutes walking home about going back with a baseball bat and killing the creature. When I got home and talked about it I just broke crying. I was outraged that this dog would dare threaten my safety. I realize I didn't really want to kill the dog, realized it was just a "dumb animal", SO there was no justifying "murder" at least unless future safety was at risk.
I don't understand how the reptilian brain works or whatever, but there is a fearlessness in me, a fearlessness against injury. I really do walk through my life as an "alpha male" mentality hidden beneath, ready to assert any defense necessary in the world. On the good side, it can be directed against physical danger like dogs attacking a woman, but on the bad side, it can also hold up an ego that might direct wrongful aggression against someone who appears to disrespect me. I only offer that recognition to the two sides, and not just physical power, but could come out as verbal power as well, senseless stuff.
Back to the pit bulls, I have no doubt at all that I would act to fight off the dogs - bare hands and all, if there's no time for weapons. Fear of physical injury wouldn't stop me, BUT it would never in a million years occur to me to offer escalating resistance - not with two dogs - the first do must die.
Having a collar makes it almost too easy. I'd grab it by the back of the collar with both hands and spin it around, using the first dog as a weapon against the second, while slamming its body against every hard surface that happens into my aim. After that I'd pin the dog down with my feet and twist the collar to strangle the dog until it couldn't move, alternating with strangling and spinning again as needed to fend off the second dog. The first dog simply could never stand again. Sure, I'd feel outraged by my fear's need to snuff the dog's life, but it would be so justifiable!
Once the first dog was out, I'd consider controlling the second dog if I could, hold it down like the guy did. As long as I'm in control, and the dog either willingly submitted to my strength OR was overpowered.
The guy talked about not getting mad until he was bit in the calf. I can see that in the sense that before that he was master of his fear, as well as being bit is a sense of "excalation" - once blood is drawn, the game rises to lethal force, while before that, you might try to see if using "bark" over "bite" can be sufficient.
I grew up with an older brother who was always bigger and stronger, so I knew all about using intimidation, convincing my brother that I was crazier than he was and she shouldn't mess with me, however many inches or pounds advantage he had.
So when faced by a stronger opponent, I'll try "bark" to avoid a physical fight, and when I'm stronger, I'll try to "overpower" until submission. Running away? Well, it's always an option, and I'm a good runner, but basically that's reserved for cases where I'm outnumbered AND faster!
I don't consider dogs stronger, even if more fierce AND faster. I suppose my confidence does come from feeling stronger. One dog, dead if I choose. Two dogs, no problem. Three dogs, well, I hope I'm fighting for the life of a screaming woman. I'm not sure I'd take on even two dogs to save the life of another dog.
Cats are more my style. I'm still surprised when cats scare me, but not that I'd be hurt, just that I'd not mess with them with my hands - kick them away from each other only!
I've read about people being attacked by cougars, or mountain lions. At least they are not pack animals. For purely wild animals I'm not as brave except by necessity.
Anyway, I'm getting silly. I'm just amazed by this reptilian brain in me that is fearless (i.e. not afraid of physical harm). It is strange for being counter to my ordinary frame of mind. I guess it's all about necessity - when you believe you have no choice, there's no question what to do.
And when someone else is being HURT, there's no question what to do! (Stop the hurting using all means available!)
That seems a good instinct.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home