Lost
In my mind, I look outward, see a world that "can't last", and in response, try to imagine how "virtue" and "good management" might make a difference.
Then I go on a bike ride today, sunshine, people out and about, doing their things, and I must step back and wonder what I know. NOT that I think projections are wrong, in the long run, but that worry is sufficient to motivate action.
WELL, fear MAY be enough, like living through the great depression helped define a generation, but memory loses its power for individuals and generations. I just can't seriously imagine standing up in front of a crowd and yelling FIRE! I can't deal with problems that are based on probability, even if a long term guarantee.
Maybe we're just a lost civilization, incapable of evaluating our own weakness, due to the rate of change in our lifetime. It is inconceivable that all that we know might be gone, that a day might come in our lifetime where we won't have gasoline to power our cars, natural gas to heat our homes, coal to power our electictrical grid, and specialized jobs to pay for the lifestyles we expect.
The arctic ocean is melting, glaciers in Greenland, and climate change is real, even if unclear what is "natural cycle" vs "human driving." I'm glad the issue is known, but I really can't believe ANY anti-CO2 agreements can be met, UNLESS we change everything we know.
The ending of the age of oil MIGHT change everything by necessity, but I'm sure we'll keep fighting with our pass success leading us far into an era of diminishing returns.
Meanwhile we all sleep, contented in our exciting times, the sky is the limit, and dreams are here to be sold. I just don't get how humanity can get "unlost", or found, BESIDES the rude awakening of crisis.
The sun is warm, and lakes are cool, and there's so many interesting things to do, how can we ever worry about things too dark to see.
I'm sure I'm right, and sure I'm wrong because I'm lost too.
Then I go on a bike ride today, sunshine, people out and about, doing their things, and I must step back and wonder what I know. NOT that I think projections are wrong, in the long run, but that worry is sufficient to motivate action.
WELL, fear MAY be enough, like living through the great depression helped define a generation, but memory loses its power for individuals and generations. I just can't seriously imagine standing up in front of a crowd and yelling FIRE! I can't deal with problems that are based on probability, even if a long term guarantee.
Maybe we're just a lost civilization, incapable of evaluating our own weakness, due to the rate of change in our lifetime. It is inconceivable that all that we know might be gone, that a day might come in our lifetime where we won't have gasoline to power our cars, natural gas to heat our homes, coal to power our electictrical grid, and specialized jobs to pay for the lifestyles we expect.
The arctic ocean is melting, glaciers in Greenland, and climate change is real, even if unclear what is "natural cycle" vs "human driving." I'm glad the issue is known, but I really can't believe ANY anti-CO2 agreements can be met, UNLESS we change everything we know.
The ending of the age of oil MIGHT change everything by necessity, but I'm sure we'll keep fighting with our pass success leading us far into an era of diminishing returns.
Meanwhile we all sleep, contented in our exciting times, the sky is the limit, and dreams are here to be sold. I just don't get how humanity can get "unlost", or found, BESIDES the rude awakening of crisis.
The sun is warm, and lakes are cool, and there's so many interesting things to do, how can we ever worry about things too dark to see.
I'm sure I'm right, and sure I'm wrong because I'm lost too.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home