Self-interested doomers
I'm always curious about those who think like me, that civilization is going to be severely challenged, probably beyond the breaking point, in the next 20 years, and their first responses is apparently how they can profit from this, how they can position themselves to maximize their wealth when the shit hits the fan.
Well, thinking of a world of expanded pain and suffering can't bring them any happiness, but they perhaps think they are like Noah, planning for the flood, and hoping when it happens the screaming voices will drowned as soon as possible.
I can understand despair, a feeling that I'm too small to help everyone, so better I don't help anyone but myself. Afterall, even those closest to me as often enough seem oblivious and willingly signing their souls over for a few moments of pleasure or comfort or implied safety from hucksters and more "honest exploiters" of our economy.
When I hear investing advice, like holding wealth "liquid" to be prepared to take advantage of the good deals coming up as people fail in their finances and their assets are sold on the cheap by banks and such, I try to consider it is simple "Darwinianism" - organisms that can best exploit the resources of their environment thrive, and the rest fail and this brutal competition is what keeps life strong and vibrant. So smart people exploiting the failings of others is merely a part of this game. It works in nature. It works in the efficient Nazi concentration camps, mining the killed prisoners for the gold in their teeth and all that. Very sensible stuff. And I suppose once someone is dead, I don't have much sympathy left.
I suppose ultimately the only thing that makes me morally superior to those who can so easily exploit others (within the rules) is I'm afraid of backlash. I know my success at the cost of the failure of others is a game that increases suffering in the world, and to the degree I don't fight that, it's going to come after me someday, smarts or luck don't last forever.
So I fight my own greed and avarice, in hopes it'll leave more for others, and in my fight, I can too easily judge the motives of others for not having compassion. It is curious. I know there's times I have to promote "tough love", saying no, when helping only helps delay an addict's day to see his vices for what they are. Holding back and allowing suffering is hard, but at least one shouldn't too easily profit from the suffering of others. Bad stuff, even if sometimes honest work, and all you can do.
Well, thinking of a world of expanded pain and suffering can't bring them any happiness, but they perhaps think they are like Noah, planning for the flood, and hoping when it happens the screaming voices will drowned as soon as possible.
I can understand despair, a feeling that I'm too small to help everyone, so better I don't help anyone but myself. Afterall, even those closest to me as often enough seem oblivious and willingly signing their souls over for a few moments of pleasure or comfort or implied safety from hucksters and more "honest exploiters" of our economy.
When I hear investing advice, like holding wealth "liquid" to be prepared to take advantage of the good deals coming up as people fail in their finances and their assets are sold on the cheap by banks and such, I try to consider it is simple "Darwinianism" - organisms that can best exploit the resources of their environment thrive, and the rest fail and this brutal competition is what keeps life strong and vibrant. So smart people exploiting the failings of others is merely a part of this game. It works in nature. It works in the efficient Nazi concentration camps, mining the killed prisoners for the gold in their teeth and all that. Very sensible stuff. And I suppose once someone is dead, I don't have much sympathy left.
I suppose ultimately the only thing that makes me morally superior to those who can so easily exploit others (within the rules) is I'm afraid of backlash. I know my success at the cost of the failure of others is a game that increases suffering in the world, and to the degree I don't fight that, it's going to come after me someday, smarts or luck don't last forever.
So I fight my own greed and avarice, in hopes it'll leave more for others, and in my fight, I can too easily judge the motives of others for not having compassion. It is curious. I know there's times I have to promote "tough love", saying no, when helping only helps delay an addict's day to see his vices for what they are. Holding back and allowing suffering is hard, but at least one shouldn't too easily profit from the suffering of others. Bad stuff, even if sometimes honest work, and all you can do.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home