Clever monkeys
It is interesting to me, the con games, bait and switch, hand quicker than the eye, the thrill in tricking your opponent into a position of weakness.
I imagine I don't "play games". I'm an honest broker of truth, trying to sincerely explore what is, what is not, and whether I have a chance to tell the difference in something.
I liked the story of experimenters who tested humans and animals with a choice of two buttons and a reward on one. The top one was correct randomly, 80% of the time, and the bottom 20%. The animal subjects quickly learned the pattern - play the top one for the best reward. Meanwhile the clever monkeys used their deep intellect to identify a pattern to beat the odds. And in their "practice" they only were correct some 60% of the time. Of course we can hope us clever monkeys will eventually get bored with the game and just play the easy odds.
The interesting thing about "the game", is the idea that we have competitors in the world just like us, trying to sucker others into easy winnings. AND the players are smart, at least looking beyond immediate rewards. They want the "big win", and are willing to offer "bait" to trap their opponents into false confidence so they finally lose it all and more.
The funny thing is, like the random test, sometimes our opponent thinks very differently from us. Nature could be "modeled" as a "player" trying to make us work for her. WELL, just like the food chain, we let the lower ones collect food for us. And trying to find the patterns of nature is what has allowed our great success. Sometimes we can say "nature's a sucker" for giving us nearly free bounty. A nicer soul will just be thankful for the abundance that supports us.
It is just curious - perhaps how the Hustlers most of all hustle themselves into unnecessary dependence upon the weakness of others. Sure, easy street exists when you see others as slaves to be used as they are fools enough to allow, but it seems a pretty diminished perspective.
And the bible says God gave the earth to man to dominate and control. I don't take the commandment "Be fruitful and multiple", but what's God's angle in all this?
It seems to me that either we too clever, or not clever enough. As soon as you feel you're on easy street, you've "been played" and a bigger loss is probably on the horizon, around the bend. I wonder why the Hustler's don't worry about the bigger game?
I wonder why they can't see greed promotes blindness and darkens the world with ignorance?
Anyway, I'm a player too, whatever I'd like. I just play a little different. I take what I need, and no more. I accept God's commandment seriously - we are responsible for this world's future, and our little corners of it. What is gained if the future is diminished?
I'm not high on the afterlife motives. I'm willing to demean my existence as "greedy genes" playing me for a sucker, although not very well, since I have no kids. I'm a happy sucker of some other genes, those who inspire my compassion and love. Game or not, I've got to play with something while I'm here!
I imagine I don't "play games". I'm an honest broker of truth, trying to sincerely explore what is, what is not, and whether I have a chance to tell the difference in something.
I liked the story of experimenters who tested humans and animals with a choice of two buttons and a reward on one. The top one was correct randomly, 80% of the time, and the bottom 20%. The animal subjects quickly learned the pattern - play the top one for the best reward. Meanwhile the clever monkeys used their deep intellect to identify a pattern to beat the odds. And in their "practice" they only were correct some 60% of the time. Of course we can hope us clever monkeys will eventually get bored with the game and just play the easy odds.
The interesting thing about "the game", is the idea that we have competitors in the world just like us, trying to sucker others into easy winnings. AND the players are smart, at least looking beyond immediate rewards. They want the "big win", and are willing to offer "bait" to trap their opponents into false confidence so they finally lose it all and more.
The funny thing is, like the random test, sometimes our opponent thinks very differently from us. Nature could be "modeled" as a "player" trying to make us work for her. WELL, just like the food chain, we let the lower ones collect food for us. And trying to find the patterns of nature is what has allowed our great success. Sometimes we can say "nature's a sucker" for giving us nearly free bounty. A nicer soul will just be thankful for the abundance that supports us.
It is just curious - perhaps how the Hustlers most of all hustle themselves into unnecessary dependence upon the weakness of others. Sure, easy street exists when you see others as slaves to be used as they are fools enough to allow, but it seems a pretty diminished perspective.
And the bible says God gave the earth to man to dominate and control. I don't take the commandment "Be fruitful and multiple", but what's God's angle in all this?
It seems to me that either we too clever, or not clever enough. As soon as you feel you're on easy street, you've "been played" and a bigger loss is probably on the horizon, around the bend. I wonder why the Hustler's don't worry about the bigger game?
I wonder why they can't see greed promotes blindness and darkens the world with ignorance?
Anyway, I'm a player too, whatever I'd like. I just play a little different. I take what I need, and no more. I accept God's commandment seriously - we are responsible for this world's future, and our little corners of it. What is gained if the future is diminished?
I'm not high on the afterlife motives. I'm willing to demean my existence as "greedy genes" playing me for a sucker, although not very well, since I have no kids. I'm a happy sucker of some other genes, those who inspire my compassion and love. Game or not, I've got to play with something while I'm here!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home