Saturday, June 17, 2006

5k glories

Wonder of wonders, I actually MAY have run a real race FAST! I actually was PRESENT at the starting line when the gun went off! Strange accomplishment for a THIRD race!

I ran the Nature Trails 5k race at 10am this morning in Fridley.
http://www.ci.fridley.mn.us/parksrec/49erdays/sncrace.htm

I ran with a female friend. Since I was faster we found a compromise - we ran together for the first mile, and then I'd go ahead. The GOAL was to encourage her to start a faster beginning than she's used to, and to keep me from running TOO FAST from the start, and both goals succeeded apparently! We BOTH won medals for our age groups!

On the small frustration side, we both ran PR paces on the 5k, and the first mile was also about 30 seconds faster than she would have expected. AND my final (5k-1M=2.106M) was off the scale for me as well, at least slower than my best 1M, but much faster than my best 2M. So it is POSSIBLE, but there's the little nagging doubt - what if it was "short"? The computer guy said i was certified, but I'm not sure.

HEY, results online: http://www.raceberryjam.com/naturetracks5k.html

Anyway, even if there was a 1-2 minute "shortcut", it was still glorious to be able to run a fast finish. I'm satisfied!

P.S. Duluth Grandma's marathon today also - they did a REAL race compared to my little 5k. Maybe next year I'll think about a marathon, but maybe not?
http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/
http://www.onlineraceresults.com/pdf/3445.pdf - results!

I'm most proud to run with my friend today and helped her find excellence!

P.P.S. Got a picture of me in the run, and added a few quotes for fun!
Nature Tracks 5k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home